Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    Hello All,
    I've been trying to list these in the classifieds section but I can't figure out howto list an item there! In the meantime, I have a pair of Altec Voice of the Theaters for sale cheap. I just listed them on Craigslist for $750 for the pair but if anyone here wants them I'd let them go for $650. I keep seeing Voice of the Theater speakers on ebay for $2000 or more so this is a real bargain. Here are the parts/drivers included (two of each--one per speaker): ALTEC 418 B WOOFER, ALTEC 511B HORN WITH ALTEC 807-8A HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER, ALTEC N501-8A CROSSOVER. All drivers and crossovers work great and these speakers sound great! I'm willing to remove the drivers from the cabinets if you just want the drivers, or I can ship them in four separate boxes complete with the custom cabinets. I'm in Rochester, NY if you want local pickup, or I can ship them to you. I can email photos, answer questions, etc.
    Thanks!
    PS The 418 B woofers were used in voice of the theater systems in the early 70's. Here is a quote from the Altec Library and the link where I got this quote from " Altec's Voice of the Theater speakers are quite unique. We start with reliable components that are designed to take hard, heavy use.We know the most punishing instrument for speakers is loud bass guitar. So the woofer in all our (Voice Of the Theater) systems is a guitar speaker like the 418B and 421A. They like to be punished, then keep on providing clean, full, undistorted sound. Our high frequency sectoral horn is the ultimate in efficiency and dispersion. They're made of cast aluminum which means they can take a lot of rough treatment during travel time. The high frequency drivers use an Altec symbiotik diaphragm for greater power handling capability. Because these drivers are ultra-efficient, very little wattage is needed for maximum output. It's this perfect mating of the horn and driver that produces the brilliance and clarity that's so much of the Voice of the Theater sound" http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1972-mi/page10.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    I beleive I've seen your ad..... you don't have Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap. You've got MI speakers in homemade cabinets. Sell the components in pairs. You don't have the value that you think you do, as a "set".
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    You are correct that the custom cabinets that these are in are probably home made (they're the cabinets that I purchased them in about 10 years ago) but did you see the link I just added to my post? These are Voice of the Theater drivers and crossovers as documented in the Altec Library in more than one of their catalogs from different years (late 60's, early 70's), not musical instrument drivers. I may sell the drivers separately in pairs if no one wants the set--thanks for the advice--that may be my best bet. By the way, here's an example of one of the links that shows 418B drivers were used in Voice of the Theater speakers from 1972 http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-mi/page10.jpg I'm sure you're already aware that the 511 horns were used in some of the versions of the Voice of the Theaters as were the 807-8a drivers and N501-8A crossovers....

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    You are correct that the custom cabinets
    They're home made boxs, and aren't anything special. Calling them custom doesn't raise the value, it just makes you look like a used car salesman.

    These are Voice of the Theater drivers and crossovers as documented in the Altec Library in more than one of their catalogs from different years (late 60's, early 70's), not musical instrument drivers.
    The woofers are MI drivers. Altec started using the VOTT label on MI stuff for awhile...... it was just marketing. They aren't well suited for reproduction, they're tailored for production...... guitar, and bass (guitar).

    I'm sure you're already aware that the 511 horns were used in some of the versions of the Voice of the Theaters as were the 807-8a drivers and N501-8A crossovers....
    Yes, the 511B's were used in a variety of applications. The drivers would depend on what diaphragms are installed. The crossovers, HF drivers, and horns are where the bulk of your value is. They're not work what you're asking, However.

    Sell the stuff separately...... you've got a mess that no one is going to pay serious money for as a set.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    You have Altec speakers in homemade boxes


    Part them out...a couple hundred for the 418"s, maybe 300-350 for the horns, and a hundred-ish for the crossovers. You can probably get your price that way.

    Referencing $2000 VOTTS is pretty wack...those don't have 418's.

    The 418 is NOT a woofer. Those are PA boxes you show a link to not theatre or Hi-Fi.

    418's are hard to sell and have little value.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    Thanks for the advice guys--I will part them out if no one wants the set. Sounds like I can get my price that way anyways. By the way, the guy I bought them from called them custom cabinets but I'm sure you're right--that just means home made....

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters SOLD!

    Thanks to everyone for the advice--just wanted to pass on the fact that I sold the Voice of the Theater speakers today through the craigslist ad. I also had a pair of Altec Model 9 Speakers in near mint condition listed on craigslist. A guy from about 45 minutes away from my house called yesterday and said he was interested in both the Voice of the Theaters and my Model 9's. He stopped by today, listened to both and requested a "package deal". I had the Voice of the Theaters listed at $750 and the Altec Model 9's listed at $350. I sold him both pair for $1,000 cash ($700 for the Voice of the Theaters and $300 for the Model 9's) and he was very happy with his purchase. I made sure he was aware of which Altec driver model #s he was getting and that the cabinets were home made. I've pulled all the ads for the speakers and am still pleasantly surprised that they sold in about a weeks time for very close to my asking price. It seems that since Altec gear from this era is legendary it basically sells itself. Now I'm left with the 3 Altecs I'll be keeping: My Valencias (used for my (rock) band's rehearsal P.A.--NOT for gigging), my Heathkit AS-101's (used in my upstairs living room stereo--recently upgraded with all new crossover caps thanks to the advice from the kind people on this forum especially Zilch), and my newest purchase (3 weeks ago) of mint condition Model 19's used in my main listening room--the best speakers I've ever owned!

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    To Post An Ad -

    Go here:

    The Altec User's Board Classifieds - Hostboard Classifieds

    Then, click on the type of item you're wanting to sell, such as "Horns and Drivers".

    Then, click on "Place An Ad".

    Then, follow the instructions.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    Congrats on the sale! And nice to know you still have a house full to play with.

  10. #10
    Hostboard Member lowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec voice of the theaters for sale cheap!

    Is it just me, or was poor old 'voice of the theater' copping a fair amount of 'attitude' with this thread?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.